5 powerful books about animals you need to read
Just when I think I’ve run out of inspiring reading material, a whole new slew of authors comes out with important works of nonfiction I can’t wait to read. Here are a few new releases for animal lovers worth that coveted spot on your nightstand:
1. Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld and the Truth Beyond Blackfish by John Hargrove
In this New York Times bestseller, former orca trainer and one of the stars of Blackfish John Hargrove reveals his journey from fulfilling a childhood dream of working at SeaWorld to realizing his life’s work was morally and ethically irresponsible. The book details the lives of cetaceans held captive at SeaWorld and lays out his reasoning for why it’s time we stop treating orcas like circus animals.
2. The Modern Savage: Our Unthinking Decision to Eat Animals by James McWilliams
Why do we eat animals, anyway? Aside from the ethical implications, there are environmental and ecological impacts, too, which our modern society should not ignore. In this book, McWilliams makes his case for veganism while questioning the morality of raising emotional, intelligent creatures for food.
3. Animal Hero Kids: Voices for the Voiceless by Susan Hargreaves
As award-winning animal activist Susan Hargreaves’ book points out, you’re never too young to impact the world and change animals’ lives for the better. Filled with stories of children rescuing animals (including one of a pig who fell off a truck on its way to slaughter and was nursed back to health), Animal Hero Kids also includes helpful tips from celebrities such as Sir Paul McCartney, Jane Goodall and Joaquin Phoenix. Russell Simmons says of her book: “This book is for anyone who cares about animals, kindness and justice.”
4. Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer and Feeling Better Every Day by Gene Baur
Ready to go vegan and live a truly animal-friendly life? Look no further than Gene Baur’s how-to lifestyle guide. Baur, co-founder and president of nonprofit organization Farm Sanctuary, knows a thing or two about living a compassionate life—and his thoughtful book offers not just inspiration and encouragement, but practical tips, recipes, beautiful photos and more to help those looking to live a more mindful life.
5. Animal Magic: My Journey to Save Thousands of Animals by Carolyn Press-McKenzie
This autobiography by the founder of HUHANZ (Helping You Help Animals), New Zealand’s leading no-kill shelter, promises to be an inspirational account of Carolyn Press-McKenzie’s life’s work with animals and will feature heartwarming accounts and sometimes dramatic rescue stories of the animals she has loved and helped over the years. Set for release in September, the book is available for pre-order on Amazon.
What inspirational book are you reading today?
You can learn more about Kathleen here.
Latest posts by Kathleen Prasad (see all)
- Healing Equine Trauma with The Let Animals® Lead method - November 10, 2019
- Holding Space with the Let Animals Lead® Method - October 30, 2019
- Be Kind to Others…Even on Social Media - October 14, 2019