8 incredibly useful apps for animal lovers
I don’t go anywhere without my smartphone. Life’s a juggling act, whether I’m taking calls, working or even snapping pics of my dog Mystic. How awesome that I can also use my mobile to keep Mystic on point in her training, get animal first aid tips and find dog-friendly hiking trails in Marin? I can do all this, and more, with apps—and here are eight of the best for animal lovers:
1. Puppy Coach 101: Coaching your new puppy isn’t easy, so why go it alone? This video-based app guides you in crate training, potty training, teaching sit, teaching them to learn their name, nipping and biting, and more. Learn tactics instantly with videos featuring professional dog trainer Joanne Lekas. $2.99 (iPhone)
2. Dog Clicker Training: To go with the training app mentioned above, this easy-to-use app gives you professional HD clicker sounds to assist in those training sessions with your dog or cat. Free (iPhone)
3. Pet First Aid: This app from the American Red Cross offers up all you need to know to help your cat or dog in an emergency. Includes how-to videos (such as animal CPR), an early warning signs checklist, the location of your nearest emergency hospital, common first aid tips and more. $0.99 (Android, iPhone, Amazon)
4. BarkBuddy: Thinking about adding a new member to the family? BarkBuddy, which links to 2,500 rescues nationwide, connects animal lovers with “the perfect match” at their local shelter. Simply swipe to see photos, bios and distance from you. An Android version is in the works. Free (iPhone)
5. Pose A Pet: With 20 sound effects including “meow,” “zing” and “squeaky,” this app ensures your cat or dog looks at the camera every single time, ensuring a perfect photo. The app was created by Jennifer Whaley, an animal photographer who used similar sounds to take pictures of 2,500 rescue dogs. Free (iPhone); $3 (Android)
6. BringFido: Traveling with your dog just got easier. With BringFido, just swipe to find pet-friendly hotels, restaurants, parks, beaches and other places that are happy to see you bring your four-legged friends, too. Free (iPhone)
7. ASPCA: Keep your pet as safe as possible in a natural disaster with this app. Not only can you store medical records, but you can also access important information during an emergency, learn how to search for your animal (if he becomes lost in a major storm, for example), create a “lost pet” digital flyer to share on social media, and more. Free (iPhone and Android)
8. Cute or Not: Do you have the cutest dog on the block? Upload a pic to Cute or Not and see if others agree. The app also lets you rate other people’s pets (for cute, the app says “swipe right!”) and see trending photos. (But wait—who’s swiping left? Aren’t all animals cute??!) Free (iPhone)
What are your favorite apps for animal lovers? Share here!
You can learn more about Kathleen here.
Latest posts by Kathleen Prasad (see all)
- Advocating for Animals through the Let Animals Lead® Method - May 14, 2019
- Why I Teach Some of My Animal Reiki Classes Online - January 31, 2019
- My Top 12 Tips for Getting Through Breast Cancer Treatment - December 22, 2018